Sunday, August 5, 2012

Tears

There have been a lot of tears shed here in the Cochran house over the last week.

George has really been the ring-leader in the crying arena.

He cut his first molar (is that normal for a 10-month old?!) and literally has four teeth trying to break through at the same time.  Here is how we know when George is cutting a tooth:

* eczema patch on the face: this is a bizarre side effect from teething, but every-single-time a tooth shows up, he has a red rash on one of his cheeks.

* FUSSINESS- that one doesn't really need an explanation

* biting- George will bite on anything.  The other morning I was cooking breakfast, and George was playing in the den.  The next thing I know I feel these teeny tiny teeth gnawing on my feet.

* there are other symptoms, but Clay said they weren't blog-appropriate to mention on here.

We have found a few things that successfully distract him from his misery:

Going to the pool.

PraiseBaby DVD.

Riding the train at the zoo.

He really has been such a trooper to pretty much constantly have a tooth coming in for the last 6 months.  He has a lot of happy moments, and keeps me laughing most of the day.  He comes up with new tricks all the time, and is truly so proud of himself when he figures out how to do something new.  His newest trick is standing up by himself, which he does for about 2 seconds and then sits down.  Clay thinks that George is scared of heights, but hopefully he'll overcome that one day.

I've been shedding my fair share of tears watching the Olympics.  I'm going to go ahead and admit that I even get a little weepy at the P&G commercials.  I just don't know what came over me every time I saw Missy Franklin in an interview or watched her swim.  

Or when the Fab Five won the gold.


Or even when they replay old Olympic events from previous games.  I have just found that I am somehow so emotionally invested in these Olympic Games.  Clay says that I am NBC's target audience for all of the coverage, interviews, and background stories.  Maybe if I get emotionally attached to a story or an athlete, then I don't really care that they never showed the men's gymnastic rings event whatsoever.  And I don't.  All I want to see are the tense moments with the hilarious commentators, who say exactly what is going on in my head such as:
"Woops!  That was a huge mistake. Huge."
"Oh man!  Did you see that?"
"He's going to have to swim a lot faster if he wants to catch up with him."

Clay's favorite commentating so far has been in the trampoline event.  It is classic.

Now that swimming is over, maybe I'll be able to hold it together.  Unless Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh can win beach volleyball.  Then I'll be right back where I started.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment